- Research Areas
- Dynamic Brain Circuits and Connections in Health and Disease
- Core facilities
- Research administration services
- News & Events
- Brain Matters Newsletter
- Neuroscience Research Colloquia
You are hereNewsroom
Member news: September 2019
Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose (pictured) was recognized by the Faculty of Medicine with a Distinguised Acheivement Award acknowledging meritorious performance. Dr. Liu-Ambrose recieved the award for Overall Excellence (Senior Faculty).
Dr. Liisa Galea and collaborators were awarded a 2019 Convening & Collaborating Award from the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research. Read more on the UBC Department of Psychology website.
Dr. Stephanie Willerth received an Innovation to Commercialization award from the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research in partnership with the Pacific Parkinson's Research Insitute for her project, 3D Bioprinting Personalized Neural Tissues For Drug Screening.
Maryam Tayyab (PI: Dr. Roger Tam) received the 2019 Dr. Deepak Kaura Award in the Mathematics of Medicine
Thanks to Dr Zhang Xiaojie for showing us around Changsha! She completed her PhD with UBC’s Weihong Song in 2012, but her claim to fame is that she appeared in our first Mood Disorders Centre Christmas Lip Dub! pic.twitter.com/W89QPQsRNS— Raymond Lam (@DrRaymondLam) September 1, 2019
Here's our latest work with @JohnKuriyan using #cryoEM that shows asymmetric structure of the B-Raf dimer, where one protomer (purple) blocks the active site of its partner (teal). This knowledge may provide new opportunities for Raf inhibitor development. https://t.co/zV58M1mNJK pic.twitter.com/RLY4sub6aN— cryoEM_UBC (@cryoem_UBC) September 19, 2019
Huge thanks to @ImogenRCoePhD for sharing her knowledge, expertise and wisdom on #EDI in #academia and #STEM today as well as a fantastic research seminar yesterday @UVicMedSciences @uvic !! #WestCoastTour #superheroine #CdnSci pic.twitter.com/LD5dWAWTQP— Dr. Swayne (@dr_swayne) September 19, 2019
Debunk myths and learn about facts and reality of pain in MS at #MSConnect through Dr. Rajiv Reebye. He is a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation specialist & Clinical Associate Professor at @UBC. More info: https://t.co/TIeokStcqk pic.twitter.com/o9fZLRadPc— MS Society BC & Yukon (@mssocietybcy) September 25, 2019
- Strengthening communities through learning (UBC Medicine, September 1)
- Defining Rare Disorders: A Profile of Judith Hall (The Scientist, September 1)
- How to recognize a concussion (CTV News, September 3)
- Patient Engagement: An Episode of SPORcast (SPORcast podcast, September 3)
- Beyond the bench: A conversation with Annie Ciernia (Spectrum News, September 10)
- Altered brain networks observed in newborns prenatally exposed to maternal depression and SSRI antidepressants (September 11)
- Are NIH Policies Unintentionally Impeding Women’s Health Research? (Society for Women's Health Research, September 12)
- UBC Department of Psychiatry Signs Milestone Agreements with Chinese Institutions (Department of Psychiatry, September 13)
- UBC considering new interdisciplinary neuroscience program (The Ubyssey, September 17)
- Researcher seeks to determine the connection between Alzheimer’s and sleep (CIHR, September 18)
- World Alzheimer’s Day: The Importance of Studying Sex Differences (WHRI news, September 21)
- Focus on Social Play Can Be A Boon to Kindergarteners, Teachers (PsychCentral, September 21)
- Why Your Memory Sucks, and What You Can Do About It (lifehacker, September 23)
- The Apparent Slowing of Disability Progression in Multiple Sclerosis (Neurology Advisor, September 24)
- A Series of Fortunate Events (Her Royal Science, September 26)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to firstname.lastname@example.org.